Thursday 31 October 2013

Third post: Getting used to it

Hi everyone,

I'm back after a little while since I have to study a lot.
Since I always arrive early to my internship, I have some free time that I generally use to prepare myself and talk with my host.

And again, quite a few hard words:

This Wednesday, she asked me to translate an English document in French. Since I was getting used to translation, I thought that it would not be as hard as the first and second time. However, I stumbled across a few words that gave me a hard time. Here is a few examples of those words:
Counselling: It's kind of the job of a psychiatrist to do counselling since they listen and give advice.
Crisis: It could translate to: crise but it actually means something even stronger.
coping: to adapt.

Non-profit: In French we call those organisation: à but non-lucratif.
The problem was not because I did not know what they meant, I just could not find any good translation. Those are words that I never really used before, even if I knew their meanings. Once you find a word difficult to translate, it slows you down a lot and it takes a lot of time to search the meaning of the word, then find a good translation.

Cultural or not:

I noticed something, my host is always asking me how I'm doing and if my family is fine and talks about the weather. I don't know if it's something cultural or not, but I think that it's just because my host is well educated and polite.


That's it for this week, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment