Wednesday 9 October 2013

Second post: My first day

My first impressions:

I was surprised, I thought translation would be far more easier than that. I stumbled across some quite difficult words that I never used before. I had to look in a dictionary often because I wanted to have the most precise translation. I had to translate from English to French. I spent four hours there to translate only around 1200 words.

Here are some examples of difficulties that I faced that day:

I had a lot of trouble to say the word ``variety`` correctly. I had to say it a couple of time before I could pronounce it the correct way.
Before that day, I never heard about the word ``synopsis``. In French, it can translate as the same thing, however, in the context, it meant a ``summary``.
Chairperson: It refer to the person in charge, the most highest ranked person in the organisation.
To expect someone: It is not new to me but I never really used it in the correct way. I had to wait for someone to come and speak with my host.
The documents that I was asked to translate had a lot of information about the LaSalle Multicultural Resource Center (LMRC). Without going into details, I learned a lot about the goals and the services offered by the LMRC.

A small observation about my current English:


I am not as skilled as I thought. It took a lot of time just to translate those documents. I had a lot of difficulties translating a few words. It takes a lot of focus to be able to understand the words that I needed to translate. Now I feel that since if I am not that good in English, I can learn a lot from this internship

No comments:

Post a Comment